Setting S.M.A.R.T Health Goals
"A goal without a plan is just a wish."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Setting goals ensures that you work towards a better version of yourself. But it can be overwhelming! Having a structured plan can keep you focused. Setting goals that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound, puts you in the best position to achieve your objectives! Often, not knowing where to start, not tracking progress, etc. are all reasons that goals aren't reached. Time and time again, the #1 resolution that people make every year is to be healthier. So why do so many fall through the cracks? Lack of structure? Unsure of where to start? Setting S.M.A.R.T goals ensures that you have the best chance of achieving any goals you set out for yourself. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint.
- Be specific. Avoid focusing on goals that too broad or general. Instead of saying, "I will eat healthier this year" you could say, "I will eat 2 cups of fruit and vegetables per day."
- Quantifying your goals will make it easier to track your progress. "I will drink 1 cup of water before 8am every day."
- Make sure your goals are realistic within a set time-frame. In most cases, setting only 1 main goal at a time drastically increases your chances of achieving it.
- Your focus should be on something that directly contributes to the broader goal at hand. If your goal is to cut back on screen time, then drinking more water wouldn't be a relevant step to achieve it. .
- Setting a time-frame for your goals allows you to set checkpoints and lay out your progress step-by-step. It also gives you room to reflect and tweak your goals as needed. Knowing that there is a deadline to meet can reinforce your motivations.
One general note to help is to actually write these things down -- write down your goals, the steps you're going to take and when, as well as the timeline. This can help set your goals into stone and help you keep your goals a priority.
Using this framework to set goals can apply to all aspects of your life, not with health aspirations! Following this outline can increase your chances of achieving a business goal, breaking a bad habit, or any other personal goals to enrich your life.
Accomplishing a goal can sometimes feel like it's out of reach. To reference Confucius -- "When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." Take a step back and look at your S.M.A.R.T. outline. Does the deadline need to be extended? Do you need to focus more on your diet than working out? Remember, these steps aren't and shouldn't be set in stone. As you work towards your goals, you'll start to see what's working and what's not -- be flexible!
Taking the first step can be daunting. Click here for a template from HubSpot that you can download for FREE to get you started.
Now get out there and crush your goals!
- Banner created by Freepik: https://www.freepik.com/vectors/new-year
- Setting SMART goals template: https://offers.hubspot.com/how-to-determine-your-smart-marketing-goals?hubs_post-cta=body&hubs_post=blog.hubspot.com%2Fmarketing%2Fhow-to-write-a-smart-goal-template&_ga=2.176203629.976091583.1645833783-1590890130.1645733442
Leave a comment